Since it opened in May 2000, Elounda Gulf Villas & Suites has won many accolades, including the American Hospitality Services’ Five Star Diamond Award and Greece’s Leading Villa Award. This Mediterranean gem has been listed as one of the 101 Best Hotels of the World in the Tatler Travel Guide for three consecutive years.
With so much to recommend it we hoped our stay would be like no other, and we weren’t disappointed. We like to feel at home even when we’re away and this friendly, family-run luxury boutique establishment is as personal as it gets. Set on a hillside, the resort overlooks the gulf of Mirabello on the northeastern coast of Crete in Elounda. Everything we needed was here – and steeped in luxury. The resort offers 18 villas, all with private pools (the Spa Villas also boast a gym, sauna and steam bath) and 10 suites; we opted for a villa and made the most of the five-star hospitality.
We particularly enjoyed visiting the seaside town of Agios Nikolaos, the traditional fishing village of Elounda, nearby Spinalonga island, the Monastery of Areti, the ancient site of Knossos and the Archaeological Museum of Heraklion. Crete touched our hearts in many ways. Romance comes easily at Elounda Gulf Villas & Suites. There are lots of great options, from elegant suites to villas, including Spa Villas, and the Royal Spa Villa – each luxurious and idyllic, and ideal for your special honeymoon.
We stayed in one of the resort’s private luxury Mediterranean-style Spa Villas (suggested as best for couples), complete with its own infinity pool where we could sit back and admire panoramic views of the Aegean Sea. There was also a built-in jacuzzi, wave jets, steam bath and gym room. We enjoyed the lavish rooms that opened out onto the deck and looked out across the sea, but still retained a sense of privacy. Honeymooners can also have catered dinners and couples’ spa treatments in the privacy of their villa.
The Honeymoon Package is a treat: book at least seven nights in a villa or suite, and get early check-in/late check-out (subject to availability), wine, flowers, upgrade (subject to availability) and a three-course meal at the Argo restaurant (drinks not included).
- Take a dip in your own private pool
- Enjoy a romantic candlelit dinner at Argo restaurant or in your own villa/suite
- Honeymoon and anniversary packages
- Champagne or wine upon arrival
- Flowers in suite/villa upon arrival
- Fruit basket upon arrival
- Set sail on a sunset boat trip to the island of Spinalonga
- Romantic cruise with barbecue
- Indulge with a full body massage in your villa/suite
- Champagne/Greek breakfasts
- Argo restaurant offers à la carte international and Mediterranean dining (breakfast, lunch and dinner) and a children’s menu is also available; Daphni is the resort’s higher-end restaurant, with gourmet cuisine and an extensive wine list as well as private dining
- The Argonauts Bar, overlooking the pool and cascading waterfall, has a relaxed atmosphere. Cocktails and other refreshments are served throughout the day and until midnight
- Nearby activities include golf in Hersonissos, Vai Palm Forest and Aqua Splash Water Park
- Fully equipped gym, with outdoor jacuzzi, sauna, and steam bath in the resort’s Elixir Spa Gallery